Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Seth gets tubes!

We have been having problems with Seth's ears since he was 9 months old.  Every winter season he would get 6 or 7 double ear infections, or he would just constantly have them and never get rid of them. But then they would always clear up in the Summer time.  We changed doctors right before I had Wilson and he gave me a referral for an ENT.  I had been asking my old dr. about tubes and he kept putting me off!  So I called my ENT, Dr. Tagge and we had an appt for Seth when Wilson was only 3 days old :) I wanted to try and get it done over my maternity leave from work.  Dr. Tagge said that with the consistency of the infections he would do them no matter what. But what worried him the most was that Seth had fluid on his ears and that he had just gotten off of medicine and the fluid was still there.
    He had surgery on March 6th at 6:30 am.  He was tired and a little unsure, but he did great! The hardest thing for me was when they put him to sleep.  They put a mask on his face and he did NOT like it.  He had a panicked look in his eyes while I held him down.  Me and the nurses all sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and he was out within 10 seconds.  It was also hard to walk away and leave my little boy on the surgery table.  He was only away from us for about 25 minutes, but I was nervous the whole time.  Dr. Tagge said that when he went in the fluid was a lot worse than he had thought and that his right ear was especially bad.  He said that the fluid was the consistency of rubber cement.  He was shocked that Seth had even been talking before the surgery.  When there is fluid on the ears, everything is muffled and kids tend to get behind on their speech.  He also said that Seth's ears never would have cleared up on their own.  So needless to say, we are very grateful that we did the surgery.
     He was tired when he came out of it, but he still wanted a green popsicle.  He kept saying he wanted a green pickle, but he settled for the popsicle :) He started running around like his crazy self when we got home.  Sometimes he will cover his ears now when things are loud cause he is not used to hearing things so clearly.  He will also fold his ears down and then open them to see what he can hear :)
 Ready to go in!
 After the surgery.  Brave Boy!

No comments: