Friday, May 22, 2009

Nothing is stopping these contractions!!!

I have now officially been having contractions since Wednesday morning! I started having consistent contractions on Wednesday morning and by lunchtime they were 3-4 minutes apart but they didn't really hurt. So around 2 I called my doctor and he said to go to labor and delivery to get checked. So we went to the hospital thinking it might be time for Ruby to come.
They checked me and told me I was 70% effaced and dilated to a 1, maybe a 2. Well a few days earlier, when I saw my doctor I was only 25% effaced and not dilated at all. So I had made some progress since then. While at the hospital, my contractions went to 1-3 minutes apart. They called Dr. Merrill to see what they wanted to do, because going by my 1st due date I was 38 1/2 weeks along but going by my second due date (June 17th) I was only 36 weeks along. My Dr. wanted them to give me the shot to stop the contractions to see if we could give Ruby a few more days to cook! So they sent me home but my contractions continued to come about every 4 minutes and they never stopped like they wanted them too. They told me to come back when they were about 2-3 minutes apart and a little uncomfortable, because they weren't really hurting me when they were 1-2 minutes apart in the hospital.
So today I woke up and they started out being only 2-3 minutes apart. By about 9 o'clock this morning they were 1-2 minutes when I was walking around and they were more uncomfortable but I could still talk fine through them. So we went to the hospital again and they checked me. I was now 80% effaced and I hadn't dilated any more. But my contractions were now 1-2 minutes apart and the last shot they gave me did nothing to them, when they should have stopped them. So my Dr. had them give me a shot of morphine to see if we could get my uterus to stop contracting. They also told me I had to stay down all weekend until Monday. If I wasn't having any contractions, I could go to work on Tuesday and then go to my doctor on Wednesday because that would put me to 37 weeks and then it wouldn't be considered a preterm birth. Well since I have a great principal, she has already gotten me a sub for all of next week and she told me to stay down.
I have been out all day, because of the morphine, but the contractions haven't stopped yet. They have slowed down, but it should have stopped it. So now we just have to wait until they are really painful or my water breaks. I guess we'll see what happens in the next few days. I wish my body would respond to the things they're doing. Especially since they won't let me have her until Wednesday. So I guess we'll see what Ruby has in mind!!!

6 comments:

. said...

Yay!!! How exciting!!! Good luck! Hang in there!!!!

"Jo" in many sizes said...

Oh boy, can't wait to see the lil red headed (hopefully) Ruby!! The worst part is not knowing! Having to wait around all weekend?!! Sheesh. Id probably like to take it easy for the weekend, but something tells me your going to be taking walks around the block? Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Jen! You are getting so close now. I hope that she comes soon. Hang in there and let me know if you need anything. Love Ya!

Kim said...

I know you don't fee l lucky right now, but you really are. My first baby was 8 days late, and I thought I would die!
Hope she comes soon :)Those contractions are so annoying and just make the day drag on because you expect the baby to come at any minute.
Hang in there.

Jenny said...

Hey, I haven't checked your blog in a long time! Today is Wednesday, so I hope all is going well if you are having your baby today! I just had my baby 3 weeks ago, and I am sure glad I wasn't in labor for days!

Travis and Kira Evans said...

Hey still haveing them. She'll be here before you know it. Let me know if you need anything. :)